Sattya Media Arts Collective is a resource network for artists, writers, filmmakers, photographers, and other creative types in Nepal. It aspires to improve the creative scene in Nepal and provide opportunities for creative people.
Sattya aims to be a hub for DIY culture, collaboration, inspiration, activism, and learning for emerging media artists and anyone interested in experiential learning, arts, films, and urban issues. Sattya is a participation based organization, open to everyone and strongly rooted in the spirit of volunteerism and inclusiveness, providing opportunities for people from all backgrounds, ages, and skill levels.
Sattya aims to inspire social and personal change through the sharing of stories, perspectives, skills, and ideas. Our vision is twofold:
By supporting emerging media makers through trainings, providing resources, and creating a community of skilled and passionate people, we hope that they will be able to tell the stories that matter to them in whichever medium they work in, as well as acquire creative and professional skills that will serve them throughout their lives.
By bringing attention to various issues through film, art, and community programs, we hope to bring about new perspectives, creativity, and a sense of civic engagement among people.
Sattya aims to create a participatory arts community where media creation is accessible to people from different backgrounds, a space in which we can learn from and support each other, and an environment where independent media artists can thrive. We envision a place where people – especially young people – are inspired to jump in and volunteer, to express themselves, and to shape their community and culture.
- We value DIT (Do It Together) ethics and collaboration
- We value experiential learning and self-education
- We value flexibility, versatility, and adapting to needs and changing circumstances
- We value diversity
- We value the idea that art is for everyone and that it can bring people together
- We value activism, civic engagement, and grassroots efforts
- We value openness to new ideas and community input
- We value personal expression and developing our own creative ideas
- We value the idea that we can share skills, ideas, and power across different age groups
- We value experimentation with ideas and arts
- We value organizational transparency and honesty
Sattya is supported by grants from the Open Society Foundations, Price Claus Fund, and individual donations.